Hello, dear readers!
I'm first up for a new cycle of topics here at Honestly YA, one of which is the dark underbelly of writing. I don't know about you, but the first thing I think of when I consider this topic is my own belly. Unfortunately, due to the stresses of writing, there is nothing "under" about my belly at the moment. "Over" might be a more apt description. Ha.
You know the drill. Have to eat a nice big breakfast to get the mental juices flowing. What? The words not coming? Maybe a quick snack will help. Anything's better than sitting in front of a blank screen, right? And just when you think you might get through the day being only a little bit bad, an email pops up in your inbox, with less-than-stellar news. Bring on the brownie brittle!
But not to worry. I was inspired by Jennifer McGowan's fabulous post last week about reaching your dreams. In it, she suggests several methods for accomplishing your goals, including one called "Five Things." In her words, "Essentially, you pick a goal, any goal—and you do five things a day designed specifically to help you achieve that goal."
I can do that. I think. It's worth a shot, anyway.
So without further ado, here are five things I will do each day to achieve an under-belly.
1. Ab crunches. When the urge to snack arises, I will get on the floor and do 25 crunches instead.
2. Elliptical. I will work out on the elliptical while indulging my taste buds by watching Top Chef.
3. Water. I will replace calorie-filled beverages with lots and lots of sparkling water.
4. Breakfast. I still believe breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I will balance this meal with a relatively light dinner.
5. No more brownie brittle. Or cookies. Or ice cream. Or chocolate. Hey, no one ever said this was easy.
So there you have it! The things standing between me and my goal. Doesn't seem as daunting, does it, when broken down into five manageable steps?
Now it's your turn to share! What are your goals, and what five things will you do to achieve them?